Part of our full-service-selling process includes extensive price research based on seasonality, item condition, brand, accessories, current marketplace buying behavior and recent comparable sales.
After researching your item, our pricing team creates a resale report like the one below:
Based on this price research, our resale team recommends an Initial Asking Price and Walk-Away price, to get your item sold at the best price possible within 30 days. Remember, our experts will make recommendations, but the final decision on pricing strategy is always up to you.
How to price-check items at home
If you're not sure your item is worth selling, it makes sense to do a quick price check at home. Here are some tips and guidelines to figure out what you're item is likely to sell for:
- Your original purchase price isn't likely to tell you a whole lot about the current resale value.
- For a good indication, look at "completed & sold" listings on eBay for your exact item, or items that are as similar as possible. While active listings are helpful, sold items show you what recent buyers were actually willing to pay.
- Consider how many active listings there are on eBay and other marketplaces for your exact item. If there are 100 listings for the same item, you'll need to compete on price alone to close a sale.
- Keep in mind that new, unopened items purchased within the past 90 days typically sell at a 10-30% discount to listed retail prices (even though they're identical items!). Once you open the box, the discount is likely to be 20-40%.
- Out-of-season items (e.g. snowboards in June) will sell at a steep discount, or not at all.
- Name brands tend to preserve their value for many years, but off-brand items sell at a significant discount.
- Dirt and grime show up in photos and tend to sell to bargain hunters, so make sure to give us items in sparkling condition.
- Look at items listed for sale "as is" to get a feel for pricing if your item is missing a key accessory (e.g. a remote) or is damaged (e.g. an iPad with a cracked screen).